"Chargrilled chicken wings slathered in a rich, sticky sauce has got to be one of the all-time barbecue classics. This recipe will have those wings flying off the barbecue faster than you can make them. A little lime marinade to season and soften the meat, a coating of sauce made from the gutsy, punchy flavours and a sprinkle of sesame seeds for a toasted note and some crunch – and you’re good to go. Especially with a cooling, easy-to-make blue cheese dip on the side." Heston
Heston's barbecue chicken wings
For the barbecue sauce
500g pack Heston from Waitrose Chicken Stock
100g white caster sugar
100g rice wine vinegar
200g tomato ketchup
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp Tabasco Pepper Sauce, to taste
2 tsp Cayenne pepper
For the cheese dip
300g blue cheese
300ml soured cream
Juice of 4 limes
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp oil
1kg British chicken wings
50g sesame seeds, toasted
Celery, washed and cut into sticks
1. To make the barbecue sauce, place the chicken stock in a pan over medium-high heat and reduce until it weighs 150g approximately. Place another pan over medium heat, add the sugar and cook until a medium caramel is formed. Slowly add the rice wine vinegar while whisking until the caramel has dissolved. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
2. To make the blue cheese sauce, remove the rind from the cheese, chop into small pieces and add to a bowl with the soured cream, and use a hand blender to blitz until smooth. Pour into a small container and allow to stand in the fridge.
3. When ready to cook, place the juice, salt and oil in a bowl, add the wings and toss until well coated. Allow to stand in the fridge for 45 minutes. Once the time has elapsed, place the wings on the preheated barbecue and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning them every few minutes until cooked through with no pink meat. Once cooked, transfer the wings to the bowl with the barbecue sauce and toss to thickly coat. Remove and transfer the wings to a clean bowl then sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds.
4. Serve in a bowl with the cheese sauce, celery and any remaining barbecue sauce on the side.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes plus 45 minutes standing
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes plus 45 minutes standing
Serves: 4 - 6
Typical values per serving:
|Salt||5.2g per serving for 6|
48.9g protein, 1g fibre
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2013.