"Give your dogs some bite this summer. For me the dog itself has got to be a South African boerewors, which has a clove and coriander spicing that makes it particularly fragrant and flavourful. But I want plenty of texture and contrast going into the roll too – a bit of crunch and sharpness from hand-pickled onions, a bit of heat from a good helping of chilli con carne, a bit of richness from a grating of cheese. And a dollop of my easily made lime sour cream – because that chilli will pack a punch." Heston
Heston's chilli dog
- Preparation time: 15 minutes plus chilling
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes plus chilling
200ml white wine vinegar
200g caster sugar
2 small red onions, thinly sliced
150ml soured cream
Grated zest of 2 limes
300g pack Heston from Waitrose 4 Boerewors Sausages
350g pack Heston from Waitrose Chilli con Carne
4 essential Waitrose White Hot Dog Rolls
50g Waitrose Rich & Creamy Davidstow Cornish Cheddar No. 5, grated
1. Place the vinegar and sugar in a pan over high heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute. In the meantime, place the thinly sliced onions in a bowl. Pour the warm liquid on top and leave to stand until completely cool. Then mix the soured cream and lime zest in a bowl until combined.
2. In the meantime, cook the sausages according to pack instructions. To reheat the chilli con carne, follow the pack instructions. When ready to assemble, slice the hot dog buns vertically from top to bottom, three quarters of the way down. Using a fork, remove some of the onions from the pickling liquid draining off any excess liquid then place the onions on the bottom of the buns. Add a sausage on top of the onions and finish with a couple of spoonfulls of chilli con carne on top.
3. Sprinkle with some of the grated cheese and place back on the barbecue for 25 to 30 seconds. Remove from the barbecue and drizzle over some of the soured cream and lime cream.