''The secret to perfect roast potatoes is sharp corners – rounded potatoes will not get as crispy as those with right angles – then pre-cooking the potatoes until they are almost falling apart. The generous amount of oil in the roasting pan will make for an extra-crispy crust.'' Heston
Heston's roast potatoes with garlic and rosemary
1.25kg large Maris Piper
150ml olive oil
8 garlic cloves, bashed
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and wash them in water to rinse off the starch.
- Cover the potatoes with water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil and cook until very soft, drain carefully and leave to cool in the colander.
- Pour the olive oil into a roasting tray large enough to hold the potatoes in one layer, then add the potatoes. Stir to coat in the oil and place in the oven for 1 hour, gently turning every 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme to the tray and return to the oven for 15–20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp all over. Drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.
Copyright © Heston Blumenthal 2010
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 53 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Dec 01 00:00:00 GMT 2010.