"Spit-roasted pineapple is one of the stars of my restaurant Dinner. Here is a simple recipe that uses the barbecue to char and caramelise the pineapple a little, giving it a wonderfully complex flavour – sweet, deep and aromatic. Team it with some quickly whisked together lime cream and a scoop of popcorn ice cream, and you can turn the king of fruits into a dessert fit for a king." Heston
Heston's grilled pineapple and ice cream sundae
20g caster sugar
200ml whipping cream
Juice of 4 limes, and zest of 2
1 small essential Waitrose Supersweet Pineapple
200g light brown muscovado sugar
500ml tub Heston from Waitrose Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream
70g Waitrose Seriously Buttery Caramel Dipping Sauce
1. Combine the sugar, cream, the zest of 2 limes and juice of 1 into a bowl and whisk to medium peaks.
2. Cut the pineapple into 6 pieces lengthwise, remove the core then remove the skin keeping it in 1 whole piece and reserve. Place the pineapple slice on the preheated barbecue until charred marks appear, approximately 1 minute, and rotate to achieve marks on all sides. Remove from the barbecue and toss in a bowl with the juice of 3 limes, followed by the muscavado sugar, to thickly dust. Return to the coolest part of the barbecue and rotate to form a caramel, being careful not to overcook the sugar.
3. Heat the caramel sauce as per pack instructions. Cut the pineapple into thick slices, arrange on the reserved skin and place on a plate. Place a large scoop of the popcorn ice cream on the side and serve with a couple of dollops of the whipped cream, drizzled with caramel sauce.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 5-6 minutes
- Total time: 20-21 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 7 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2013.