"Sliders are so-called because they slide down easy. Roasting corn on the cob and combining it with diced tomato and chillies for a bit of heat, lemon for a bit of acidity and coriander and mint for fragrance gives you a quick, lively salsa. Marinating sliced cucumber in a simple mix of sugar, vinegar, water and dill produces a sharp little pickle. The two together provide the perfect accompaniment for the big, rich, meaty flavours of spruce-smoked pork that’s been shredded and mixed with tangy barbecue sauce." Heston
Heston's pork shoulder sliders
For the sweetcorn salsa
1 sweetcorn on the cob
½ green chilli, chopped
2g fresh coriander leaves, finely sliced
2g fresh mint leaves, finely sliced
1 tomato, deseeded and diced
2 tsp olive oil
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
30g sweetcorn purée (home-made) or tinned creamed style corn
For the pickled cucumber
1 cucumber, peeled
50g caster sugar
100ml white wine vinegar
10g fresh dill
450g Heston from Waitrose Spruce-Smoked Pork Shoulder with Mesquite Rub
12 Waitrose Assorted Mini Rolls
1. For the sweetcorn salsa, place the corn on the cob on the barbecue and rotate until cooked and most sides charred (approximately 5 minutes). Using a sharp knife, remove the kernels. Place the kernels in a bowl and add the chilli, coriander, mint, tomato, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, sweetcorn purée (or creamed style corn), mix well and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reserve in a sealed container in the fridge.
2. To make the pickled cucumbers, slice the cucumber lengthways down the middle then slice very thinly on a mandolin or in a food processor. Bring the sugar, vinegar and 150ml cold tap water to the boil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Allow to cool. Mix the sliced cucumber and pickling liquid in a container, add the dill, cover and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Drain the cucumber.
3. Cook the pork shoulder according to pack instructions. In the meantime, slice the rolls in half and place them on the barbecue to lightly toast. Once the pork is ready, using 2 forks, pull the meat apart, mix with the barbecue sauce (from the pork shoulder) and separate into 12 portions. Place each portion in the roll. Serve with the salsa and the pickled cucumber.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes plus chilling
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes plus chilling
Typical values per serving:
13.7g protein, 1.6g fibre
Average user rating Based on 74 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2013.