"A salmon dip with a difference. By combining two forms of salmon-chargrilled and tea-smoked-you get a variety of texture and complexity of flavour that really invigorates this classic dip. Especially when combined with some sliced pickled shallots and sushi ginger– a simple but effective way of introducing a lively piquancy to balance the creamy smoothness." Heston
Heston's salmon dip
2 echalion shallots, finely sliced
70g caster sugar
100ml white wine vinegar
300g pack salmon fillets
100g pack Heston from Waitrose
Lapsang Souchong Tea Smoked Salmon, diced
40g soured cream
30g crème fraîche
Zest of ½ lemon
Squeeze of lemon juice
50g sushi ginger, drained and finely sliced
6g fresh chives
1. To pickle the shallots, place the sugar and vinegar into a pan over medium-high heat and allow to come to a boil. Pour the hot mixture over the shallots and allow to cool completely.
2. Season the salmon fillets with salt and place on a preheated barbecue approximately 3 minutes on each side, until medium in doneness. Remove from the barbecue and allow to cool. Using a fork, flake the salmon into small pieces into a bowl.
3. Add the smoked salmon, soured cream, crème fraîche, lemon zest and juice to the salmon in the bowl.
4. Drain the shallots and discard the pickling liquid and combine with the finely sliced sushi ginger. Add to the salmon mixture and add the finely sliced chives then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with thinly sliced baguette or your choice of crackers.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Cooking time: 6-8 minutes
- Total time: 21-23 minutes plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
21.5g protein, 0.4g fibre
Average user rating Based on 11 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2013.