These homemade beef burgers are easy to make and perfect for grilling or barbecuing - a great summertime treat.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
75g bulgar wheat
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 x 400g packs Waitrose Aberdeen Angus 10% fat beef mince
15g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
For the beetroot slaw:
2 medium raw beetroots, peeled and grated
250g red cabbage, shredded
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 small green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
10g flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1. Preheat the barbecue or light and leave until the flames have died down and the coals have turned grey. Place the bulgar wheat in a small pan, just cover with boiling salted water and cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat until all the water has been absorbed and the bulgar wheat is softened. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the red onion for about 5 minutes until softened, then stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Place the mince in a large bowl and add the cooled bulgar wheat, along with the parsley, egg and cooled onion and garlic. Season well. Mix thoroughly together until you have a well combined mixture. Shape into 6 burgers and chill in the fridge until ready to cook.
4. Place all the ingredients for the beetroot slaw in a large serving bowl and toss together well, seasoning with a little salt and plenty of ground black pepper.
5. When ready to cook the burgers, place on the barbecue and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked and no pink meat remains. Leave to rest for a couple of minutes. Serve with the beetroot slaw.