Wholesome homemade baked beans are surprisingly easy to make and really hit the spot when you want something simple but special.
Homemade Baked Beans on Wholegrain Toast
- 250g Waitrose Wholesome Pinto Beans
- 200g unsmoked back bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Tate & Lyle Black Treacle
- 2 x 400g cans Waitrose Chopped Tomatoes in Natural Juice
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 9 slices wholegrain bread, such as granary
- Waitrose Olive Spread, for the toast
- ½ x 20g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Begin the night before by soaking the beans in cold water. The following day, cook according to pack instructions, then drain well.
- Heat a large pan and add the bacon. Fry for 1 minute, then add the onion, celery and garlic and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onion has started to soften.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, black treacle and tomato purée. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the cooked beans. Return to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Toast the bread and spread with olive spread.
- Stir the chopped parsley into the beans, then spoon over the toast and serve immediately.
Try using other beans such as haricot, cannellini or black eyed beans, or to save time use canned varieties. Perfect for serving on jacket sweet potatoes, topped with grated mature Cheddar.
- Preparation time: Prepare 15 mins, plus overnight soaking
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes, plus overnight soaking
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 49 ratings
This recipe was first published in December 2007.