Wholesome homemade baked beans are surprisingly easy to make and really hit the spot when you want something simple but special.
Homemade Baked Beans on Wholegrain Toast
- Preparation time: Prepare 15 mins, plus overnight soaking
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes, plus overnight soaking
- 250g Waitrose Wholesome Pinto Beans
- 200g unsmoked back bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp Tate & Lyle Black Treacle
- 2 x 400g cans Waitrose Chopped Tomatoes in Natural Juice
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 9 slices wholegrain bread, such as granary
- Waitrose Olive Spread, for the toast
- ½ x 20g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Begin the night before by soaking the beans in cold water. The following day, cook according to pack instructions, then drain well.
- Heat a large pan and add the bacon. Fry for 1 minute, then add the onion, celery and garlic and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onion has started to soften.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, black treacle and tomato purée. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the cooked beans. Return to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Toast the bread and spread with olive spread.
- Stir the chopped parsley into the beans, then spoon over the toast and serve immediately.