You can vary the ingredients of this British classic according to your favourite veg.
Hot & spicy piccalilli
1.8kg fresh vegetables (try a mix of shallots, cauliflower florets, runner beans, cucumber, butternut squash, courgettes, carrots, peppers),
washed and trimmed
100g sea salt
568ml bottle essential Waitrose Malt Vinegar
200g golden granulated sugar
1 tbsp English mustard powder
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp black mustard seeds
1–2 tsp crushed chillies
3 pieces Cooks' Homebaking Stem Ginger in Syrup, chopped
1 tbsp cornflour
1. Cut all the vegetables into bitesize pieces and place in a bowl. Add the salt and stir to mix, then cover with a clean tea towel and leave to stand in a cool place for 24 hours.
2. The next day, drain and rinse the vegetables thoroughly under cold running water. Drain again and pat dry. Reserve 2 tbsp of the vinegar and pour the rest into a large pan with the sugar and the spices. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar then bring to the boil. Add the vegetables and return to the boil.
3. Mix the cornflour with the reserved vinegar and add to the pan. Stir together then simmer for 5–6 minutes until thickened. The vegetables should retain a little bite and the liquid reduce. Pack into warm, sterilised jars (see the Cooks' tip on page 32), seal with vinegar-proof lids and leave to cool. Store for 6 weeks in a cool, dark cupboard before eating.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes + standing
- Cooking time: 6 minutes
- Total time: 36 minutes + standing
Makes: 5 x 350g jars
Typical values per serving:
|Saturated Fat||trace g|
Per 20g serving
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Sep 08 14:51:00 BST 2015.