The traditional spices and fruit in this recipe make the loaf perfect for Easter. Excellent toasted, with butter.
Hot Cross Bun Loaf
- 75g caster sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Waitrose Organic Mixed Spice
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 125g Waitrose Mixed Fruit
- 375ml tepid milk
- Large beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- Place the ingredients for the basic recipe (see basic white bread recipe) in a mixing bowl. Add 75g caster sugar, 1½ teaspoons Waitrose Organic Mixed Spice, ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg and 125g Waitrose Mixed Fruit. Combine thoroughly then mix to a dough with 375ml tepid milk mixed with a large beaten egg. Knead as in the basic recipe.
- Pat out the dough to a rectangle about 18cm x 36cm. Using a sharp knife, cut the rectangle into 3 long strips, leaving them attached at 1 end. Plait the strips, then gently place in a 900g loaf tin, prepared as in the basic recipe, tucking the ends under the dough. Don't press the dough down - it will rise to fill the gaps. Leave to prove as in the basic recipe then bake in an oven preheated to 220°C, gas mark 7 for 35 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, dissolve 3 tablespoons caster sugar in 3 tablespoons milk over a low heat, then boil rapidly for 1 minute to make a thick, sticky glaze. Once the loaf is cooked, turn it out onto a wire rack and brush the top with the warm glaze. Leave to cool before slicing.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour proving
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Makes: Makes 1 large loaf (12 slices)
Typical values per serving:
Per slice (approx 12 slices per loaf)
Average user rating Based on 10 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Mar 01 00:00:00 GMT 2005.