“I love hot cross buns. They really say Easter to me – it’s the smell, the taste and the nostalgia of them. Sometimes I make them even more delicious by halving the amount of raisins and adding 60g chopped dark chocolate to the dough.” Edd Kimber
Hot cross buns
450g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 x ½ tsp salt
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
50g caster sugar
7g sachet easy bake yeast
250ml whole milk
30g unsalted butter
1 orange, zest
1 large egg
1 x Olive oil, for greasing
50g plain flour
2 tbsp golden syrup
1. Mix the bread fl our, salt, spices, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. In a small pan, warm the milk and butter over a low heat until the butter is melted. Add the zest and raisins and leave to cool for 2 - 3 minutes until just warm, then beat in the egg. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the milk mixture, stirring to make a soft dough.
2. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and put in a lightly oiled bowl; cover with clingfilm. Leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
3. Tip the risen dough onto a lightly floured work surface and flatten to knock out some of the air. Divide it into 9 pieces (around 100g each) and roll into balls. Place about 2cm apart on a baking tray lined with baking parchment; lightly cover with greased clingfilm. Leave to rise for about 40 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6, and remove the clingfilm. For the crosses, mix the plain flour and 5 tbsp water into a thick paste. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle (or use a plastic food bag with a bottom corner cut off ) and pipe on the crosses. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Gently heat the golden syrup in a pan and brush over the warm buns. Cool a little before serving.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus rising
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 21 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Feb 20 10:57:00 GMT 2012.