A super tasty and easy summer dessert.
The Happy Pear Gluten free Bakewell tart
For the raspberry jam:
4 tbsp water
100ml maple syrup
2 tbsp chia seeds
For the shortcrust pastry:
150g gluten free plain white flour or buckwheat flour
75g coconut oil
3-4 tbsp cold water
For the frangipane:
130g coconut oil
140g maple syrup
155g ground almonds
1½ tbsp flaxseed
4 tbsp water
1¼ tsp gluten free baking powder
50g flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line the base of a 23cm spring form cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. To make the jam, put the raspberries into a saucepan, add the water and cook over a medium heat until the fruit starts to break down. Add the maple syrup and chia seeds and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for 6-8 minutes to reduce and thicken. Stir regularly to avoid burning or sticking. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl, then set aside to cool and firm up.
3. To make the pastry, put the flour into a large mixing bowl. Finely chop the solid coconut oil and add along with a pinch of salt. Rub together until the coconut oil has mixed with the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs - this should take about 3 minutes. Add the water and press the mixture together into a firm ball - if it doesn’t stick together easily add an extra tbsp water. Once the pastry has come together, refrigerate for 5 minutes until firm.
4. Lightly coat your hands in flour and transfer the dough into the lined cake tin. Press firmly into the bottom of the tin - it should evenly cover the base by around 1/2 cm, but not the sides. Blind bake for 10 minutes (there’s no need to cover with baking paper and dried beans).
5. Next make your frangipane mixture. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan on a high heat, then add to a mixing bowl along with the ground almonds, maple syrup and baking powder. In a separate bowl combine the flaxseed and water and set aside for 4 minutes until it turns gloopy and similar in consistency to an egg. Add the ‘flax egg’ to the ground almond mixture and mix well.
6. Take the base out of the oven and cover with the jam. Next, gently spoon over the frangipane mixture and sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. When cooked, leave to cool for about 15 minutes, then chill before serving.
Serves: 6 - 8
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings