- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g dark brown soft sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp honey
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Iced Spice Biscuits
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes chilling
- Cooking time: 10 minutes to 12 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 12 minutes
Makes: about 20 biscuits
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and creamy. Add the egg and honey, then sift in the flour and spices. Mix well to form a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Unwrap the dough and place between 2 clean sheets of clingfilm. Roll out to a 5mm thickness. Using letter-shaped cutters, cut out 20 shapes.
- Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.