A lovely little dessert
Individual Christmas stollen
25g mixed peel
50g glacé cherries, chopped
50g blanched almonds, chopped
Finely grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
10 cardamom pods, crushed and shells removed
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp vanilla extract
375g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 sachet dried yeast
50g caster sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
65g unsalted butter, melted
150ml warm milk, plus 1-2 tbsp, if needed
200g white marzipan
Icing sugar, for dusting
Melted butter, for greasing
- In a bowl, mix together the raisins, sultanas, mixed peel, cherries, almonds, lemon zest, cardamom, nutmeg and vanilla extract. Cover and leave to stand while making the dough.
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the egg, 50g of the melted butter and 150ml milk. Using a round-bladed knife, mix the ingredients to form a dough. If the dough feels dry and crumbly, add a further 1-2tbsp milk.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. (Alternatively, you can knead the dough using a free-standing mixer fitted with a dough hook for 5 minutes.) Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-1¼ hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Gradually knead in the fruit mixture until it is evenly distributed through the dough. (Don’t worry if the dough becomes soft, sticky and slightly messy to handle at this stage.) Cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Grease the insides of the moulds with butter. Line each mould with baking parchment – the base with circles and the sides with strips. (Don’t worry about doing this too neatly.) Trim off the excess around the tops with scissors.
- Cut the marzipan and the dough into 10 even-sized pieces. On a lightly floured surface, flatten out a piece of dough to make a 13 x 6cm rectangle. Then take a piece of marzipan and make a slightly smaller rectangle, and place it on top of the dough. Roll them together, starting from a short end, then drop the mixture into a mould. Repeat with the rest of the dough and marzipan pieces.
- Place the moulds on a baking sheet, covering the tops with a piece of clingfilm. Leave in a warm place for 20-30 minutes, until the dough fills the moulds and rises well above the rims.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining melted butter and leave to cool. Remove the mini stollen from the dariole moulds.
Once the cooled mini stollen, still in their baking parchment cases, have been removed from the dariole moulds, place them in clean small buckets or terracotta flower pots. Dust generously with icing sugar, then wrap in Cellophane and tie with a ribbon. Alternatively, wrap each mini stollen in Cellophane and finish with ribbon and a gift label, or place in a small gift box, lined with tissue paper.
- Preparation time: About 1 hour, plus proving
- Cooking time: 15 minutes to 20 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes
Makes: 10 individual stollen
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 85 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 01 00:00:00 GMT 2007.