Rachel is a television chef and author of many cookbooks
Rachel Allen's Irish Apple Cake
100g Waitrose Duchy Organic English Salted Butter, chilled, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
225g Waitrose Duchy Organic Plain White Flour
¼ tsp baking powder
100g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling
1 medium Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Egg, beaten
100ml Waitrose Duchy Organic Whole Milk
300g Waitrose Duchy Organic Gala Apples (about 2)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Generously grease a 23-25cm ovenproof plate or shallow dish with butter.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the texture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, egg and enough milk to form a very soft, wet dough.
3. Spoon one half of the wet dough onto the greased ovenproof plate or dish. Peel, core and chop the apples roughly into 2cm pieces. Scatter them over the dough and sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar.
4. Using a spoon, top the apples with the remaining dough to cover them completely. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp sugar. Cut a slit through the middle of the dough lid and bake for approximately 40 minutes until cooked through and nicely browned. Serve immediately with softly whipped cream or Waitrose Duchy Organic Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
(including whipped cream)
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 07 10:25:00 BST 2017.