Based on Japanese omelettes called okonomiyaki, you can vary the filling according to what's in season — baby spinach, watercress or mushrooms also work well
Japanese-style shredded vegetable pancakes
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 as a starter
100ml vegetable stock, cooled
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
50g plain flour
2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
4 salad onions, finely chopped
65g pointed cabbage (about 3 leaves), stalks removed and very thinly sliced
1 large carrot, grated
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp Love Life Sesame Seeds, toasted
Sushi pickled ginger
1. In a bowl, whisk together the stock, soy and eggs until well combined. Place the flour in a separate bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the stock mixture. Whisk to a smooth batter, then stir in the ginger, salad onions, cabbage and carrot.
2. Heat half of the oil in a small (about 21cm) frying pan. Spoon in half of the mixture and cook over a medium heat until a crust starts to form around the edges and the underneath is golden and set.
3. Use a spatula to flip the pancake over and cook for 3 minutes more until set. Tip out onto a chopping board and repeat with the remaining mixture.
4. Mix together the mayonnaise and wasabi and spoon into a small bowl.
5. Cut each pancake into wedges and serve with the wasabi mayonnaise, toasted sesame seeds and pickled ginger alongside.