This makes a great alternative to a Sunday roast, or would be perfect for friends coming round for dinner as the pork can be cooked well in advance.
Jason Atherton's Braised pork belly, peas, broad beans & radishes
1 pork belly
1 onion, chopped 300g
1 stick celery, sliced 140g
1 carrot, peeled and diced 290g
1/2 head garlic, cut through the middle
1 small leek, sliced 235g
1 bay leaves
¼ x 20g pack thyme
¼ x 20g pack rosemary
2 star anise
5 crushed black peppercorns
125ml bottle soy sauce
500ml chicken stock
500ml beef stock
200ml white wine
250g broad beans, fresh or frozen
250g fresh peas, fresh or frozen
12 radishes plus 2 radishes, raw for slicing
50ml chicken stock
1. Seal the pork belly in a large ovenproof pan with a little oil until evenly golden to dark brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Add all the vegetables, herbs and spices to the pan and sweat, until just starting to caramelise. Add the soy sauce and reduce by half. Pour in the white wine and reduce by half again.
3. Return the pork belly back into the pan and cover it with the stocks. Cover all of it with a cartouche, a round piece of baking parchment the size of the pan to keep in the moisture.
4. Braise in the oven for approximately 2 hours at the temperature of 100°C, gas mark ½ . Remove the belly and press it between two baking trays with a weight on top. Place it for around 2 hours into the fridge.
5. Strain the liquid into another pan and reduce it to desired consistency for the sauce. Season to taste. Meanwhile blanch the broad beans, peas and radishes separately in boiling water and refresh them in ice cold water. Quarter the radishes. (Once cool remove the outer skin from each bean and pea.)
6. To serve, slice the pork belly to the desired thickness. Heat a little oil in a pan. When hot, add the sliced pork and seal, add the sauce and heat thoroughly.
7. Serve the warm broad beans, peas, and radishes in a little bit of stock and butter then arrange the pork on top. Garnish with the asparagus and thinly sliced raw radish.
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Thu May 01 16:03:00 BST 2014.