This is a wonderful salad to serve with roast lamb – the flavours pair up beautifully
Kale salad with anchovy dressing, artichokes and pecorino
175g pack chargrilled artichoke hearts
50ml whole milk
3 anchovy fillets in extra virgin olive oil, drained
½ garlic clove
¾ tsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice, or more to taste
300g pentland brig kale, coarse stalks removed
25g pack flat leaf parsley, stalks finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped
60g toasted flaked almonds
50g pecorino romano, finely grated
1. Drain the artichokes, reserving the oil, then slice and set aside. Put the milk in a small bowl and add the anchovy fillets. Soak for 10 minutes to make them less salty, then drain and discard the milk.
2. Crush the anchovies and garlic to a paste in a pestle and mortar. Stir in the mustard, then gradually whisk in the extra virgin olive oil and reserved artichoke oil. Stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice with 2 tbsp water to make a dressing. Season with black pepper. Taste and add a little more lemon juice, if liked.
3. Roughly tear (or chop) the kale leaves, then toss in a bowl with 2 /3 of the dressing, being quite forceful to break and bruise the leaves slightly (this tenderises them). Set aside for a few minutes to soften further, then toss with the artichokes, parsley, almonds and pecorino. Drizzle with the remaining dressing before serving
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, September 2017 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus soaking and macerating
- Cooking time: 0
- Total time: 15 minutes, plus soaking and macerating
Typical values per serving:
Per serving (6) 906kJ
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Fri Sep 01 11:33:56 BST 2017.