100g cashew nuts
5 cloves garlic, peeled
Thumb-sized piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
3 tbsp vegetable oil
6 skinless chicken thigh fillets,cut into large chunks
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp raisins
2 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp natural yogurt
28g pack coriander, roughly chopped
Kashmiri chicken curry
100g cashew nuts
1. Toast the cashews in a large, dry frying pan over a low medium heat, shaking regularly, until golden. Leave to cool then tip all but 1 tbsp into a food processor with 100ml warm water and blend to a smooth paste. Put the garlic, ginger and chilli powder into a small food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or wok and fry the chicken in batches until golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, then add the cumin seeds. Fry for 30 seconds then add the onions and fry for a further 5 minutes until soft. Add the ground coriander and turmeric, fry for 30 seconds then add the chilli paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes then return the chicken to the pan.
3. Add the cashew paste, raisins, garam masala and 350ml warm water and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from the heat, stir through the yogurt and serve garnished with the reserved chopped cashews and chopped coriander. Serve with plain steamed rice , naan bread and a kachumber (tomato and onion) salad.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 31 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Sep 03 07:54:00 BST 2014.