To store, place the labneh in a jar, cover with olive oil and keep in the fridge for up to a week. For a softer, more spreadable cheese, try draining the yogurt for only 6-8 hours. Place in a serving bowl, drizzle with a good glug of olive oil and top with fresh mint or parsley and a sprinkling of paprika.
Labneh (Curd Cheese Balls Rolled in Fresh Herbs)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes, plus draining
Makes: 15 labneh
- 500g full-fat, Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Paprika, for rolling
- Finely chopped mint, for rolling
- Finely chopped parsley, for rolling
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Place the yogurt in a bowl and stir in the salt until well combined. Transfer to a jelly bag or a sieve lined with moist muslin, and set over a bowl to catch the whey. Leave to drain for 16-24 hours or until you have a thick, semi-crumbly cheese. Discard the whey and transfer the cheese to a bowl.
- Using your hand, roll the cheese into 15 small balls, each about the size of a walnut. Lightly roll in a small amount of paprika and/or fresh herbs and place on a serving platter. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with toasted Mediterranean bread.