Made in one pot to serve straight from oven to table, use curry paste to add depth of flavour and to save you time
Lamb & apricot biryani
1 tbsp sunflower oil
330g pack essential Waitrose British Diced Lamb Shoulder
1 onion, thinly sliced
225g essential Waitrose Basmati Rice
¼ tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp Patak’s Korma Spice Paste
350g pack Waitrose Diced Butternut & Sweet Potato
500ml hot lamb stock
75g dried apricots, diced
2 tbsp flaked almonds
2 tbsp coriander leaves
Patak’s Plain Mini Pappadums, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole and cook the lamb and onion for 5 minutes until browned. Stir in the rice and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds, then add the curry paste, butternut squash, sweet potato, stock and apricots.
2. Cover the dish and bake for 30–35 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, sprinkle the almonds into a frying pan and toast for 2–3 minutes until lightly browned. Fluff up the rice with a fork and scatter over the almonds and coriander. Serve with pappadums on the side.
Cook’s tipAdd a handful of baby spinach and stir in before serving for an extra veggie boost.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes to 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Excluding mini pappadums
Average user rating Based on 10 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 29 10:40:00 BST 2016.