1½kg diced lamb shoulder
300ml red wine
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 bay leaves
1 stick cinnamon
15g pack oregano, leaves only
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pack echalion shallots, peeled, root left intact
395g can Waitrose Peeled Italian Cherry Tomatoes
Fresh parsley and mint, roughly chopped
Feta cheese, crumbled, optional
1. The day before, place the lamb in a non-metallic bowl with the red wine, garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon and oregano leaves. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight.
2. On the day you want to serve, heat the oil in a large non-stick casserole, gently fry the shallots until golden, then remove and set aside. Remove the lamb from the marinade, reserving the liquor.
3. Brown the meat in the pan. Add the marinade liquid, fried shallots and the tomatoes, and season generously.
4. Bring to the boil, add a lid, then simmer gently for 2 hours until the lamb is tender and giving.
5. Serve scattered with the chopped herbs, lemon zest and feta, if you wish, with the green beans (see right) on the side.
Serve this alongside Green beans with capers & crispy parsley for a wonderful Sunday lunch.
15-20 minutes + marinating overnight
2 hours 10 minutes
2 hours 30 minutes + marinating overnight
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Mar 01 10:23:00 GMT 2016.