1. The day before, place the lamb in a non-metallic bowl with the red wine, garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon and oregano leaves. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight.
2. On the day you want to serve, heat the oil in a large non-stick casserole, gently fry the shallots until golden, then remove and set aside. Remove the lamb from the marinade, reserving the liquor.
3. Brown the meat in the pan. Add the marinade liquid, fried shallots and the tomatoes, and season generously.
4. Bring to the boil, add a lid, then simmer gently for 2 hours until the lamb is tender and giving.
5. Serve scattered with the chopped herbs, lemon zest and feta, if you wish, with the green beans (see right) on the side.