A classic feel-good dish with a twist. This is ideal for freezing.
Lamb and red lentil shepherd’s pie
1 Olive oil spray
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
250g essential Waitrose lean ground lamb
2 rosemary sprigs
227g can essential Waitrose chopped tomatoes
200g red lentils
450ml lamb stock, hot
400g white potatoes, diced
2 parsnips, diced
3 tbsp quark or skimmed milk
4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Spritz a large pan with oil, add the onion, carrot and lamb and cook for 5 minutes. Add the rosemary, tomatoes, lentils and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until tender add a splash of water if it’s a little dry.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes and parsnips in a pan of water for 15 minutes until tender, then drain well and mash with the quark and parsley.
3. Preheat the oven to 190ºC, gas mark 5. Transfer the filling to a heatproof dish and spoon over the mash. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is crusty and golden.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- Total time: 60-65 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 19 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 19 14:03:00 GMT 2012.