4 medium leeks
50g unsalted butter
350g risotto rice (arborio or carnaroli)
125ml dry white wine
1½ litres fresh vegetable stock, heated
100g dolcelatte, cut into cubes
2 handfuls grated gran moravia vegetarian cheese (or parmigiano reggiano), plus extra to serve
Leek and dolcelatte risotto
4 medium leeks
1. Cut the top 3cm from the green end of the leeks into rings. In a large pan, gently fry the rings in ¼ of the butter with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes, or until softened. Tip into a bowl, cover and set aside. Finely chop the remaining leeks.
2. Melt the remaining butter in the same pan. Add the chopped leeks with a pinch of salt and sweat gently for about 8 minutes, until soft. Stir in the rice for a minute or two, until hot and thoroughly coated in the butter, then turn up the heat and tip in the wine. Bubble and stir until the liquid has evaporated.
3. Add 2 ladlefuls hot stock and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Add another ladleful and repeat. Carry on adding stock, stirring constantly towards the end, until the rice is al dente and lightly bathed in creamy liquid. It should be slightly resistant in the middle, but without chalkiness: about 17-20 minutes.
4. Stir in the dolcelatte and hard cheese; season, cover, and allow to stand for 4 minutes. Ladle into wide bowls, top with some of the fried leeks and add a trickle of olive oil, if liked, before scattering with more hard cheese. Finish with a grind of black pepper and serve. LH
This recipe first appeared in the Harvest section of Waitrose Food, January 2017 issue. Download the Waitose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 23 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Jan 01 13:14:53 GMT 2017.