With only 20 minutes hands-on time, this leek and cheese tart is well worth rolling your sleeves up for. Serve with steamed broccoli with a dash of lemon juice and olive oil.
Leek & Caerphilly lattice tart
Small knob of unsalted butter
400g pack Waitrose Trimmed Leeks, thinly sliced
3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
300g Charlotte potatoes, diced
Plain flour, for dusting
500g shortcrust pastry
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
100g half fat crème fraîche
120g Caerphilly or Wensleydale cheese, crumbled
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg, beaten
1. Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the leeks and thyme for 5-10 minutes until softened.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just tender, then drain and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the softened leeks and thyme.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out three-quarters of the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin and cut out a 25cm x 35cm rectangle. Re-roll the trimmings and reserved pastry and cut out 12 long strips of varying widths.
4. Transfer the pastry rectangle to a non-stick flat baking sheet and spread with the mustard, leaving a narrow border. Spoon the potatoes and leek over the mustard, then dot with the crème fraîche and cheese. Brush the border with egg and arrange the pastry strips on top of the filling, in a wide diagonal lattice. Brush the pastry strips with more egg. Bake for 25 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and golden. Slice and serve warm.
- Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 55-60 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Feb 20 14:05:58 GMT 2017.