The addition of mascarpone adds a velvety texture, making this a really luxurious homemade ice cream. This recipe uses sweet strawberries and zesty lemon to balance the creaminess.
Lemon & strawberry gelato
- Preparation time: 20 minutes + overnight freezing
- Total time: 20 minutes + overnight freezing
Makes: 2 litres
400g fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
40g icing sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
600ml double cream
250g tub Galbani Mascarpone
325g jar Waitrose 1 Lemon Curd
1. Roughly mash the strawberries with a fork then stir in the icing sugar, lemon zest and juice, and set aside.
2. Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks. In a separate bowl beat together the mascarpone and lemon curd until smooth, then stir into the cream.
3. Spread ¹/³ of the mascarpone mixture in the base of a 2-litre freezer-proof container. Spoon over half the strawberries, then ripple the mixture together using a spoon. Repeat to make another layer, finishing with the mascarpone mixture. Freeze overnight until firm.
4. Remove the gelato from the freezer 30 minutes before serving.
Cook’s tipServe scoops straight from the tub in cone wafers – children and adults will love them.