Gone are the days when fruit salad meant a bowl of chopped-up apple and tinned pineapple topped with a glacé cherry. Choose fragrant, fleshy mangoes and perfumed lychees, and drizzle with a syrup infused with citrus juices and kaffir lime.
Lychee and Mango Salad with Lime Syrup
- 24 fresh lychees, peeled or 425g tin lychees in syrup, drained
- 2 mangoes, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 10g mint leaves, finely shredded
- Lime syrup
- 1 orange, juiced and strained
- 1 lemon, juiced and strained
- 2 limes, juiced and strained
- 150g caster sugar
- ½ tbsp shredded kaffir lime leaves
- Combine all ingredients for the syrup in a medium-size saucepan over a medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to high, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced and syrupy. Strain and allow to cool.
- Place the fruit on 4 serving plates. Drizzle a little lime syrup over each one. Scatter with the mint. Serve immediately with some Greek yogurt.
A tangy lime syrup and the exotic perfume of lychees works a treat with the fragrant, heady charms of a fortified wine.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in July 2006.