When time is short, a little can of flavoured mackerel can make preparing dinner for two very easy. You can always double the quantities to serve four, too.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
150g linguine pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
110g can John West Wood Smoked Irish Mackerel Fillets With Red Chilli In Sunflower Oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
270g pack cherry vine tomatoes, halved
200ml white wine or vegetable stock
50g essential Waitrose Pitted Black Olives, roughly chopped
25g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water according to the packet instructions. Drain and return to the saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of oil from the can of mackerel in a small frying pan, add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute, then add the cherry tomato halves and cook for just a minute over a high heat. Pour in the wine or vegetable stock and bubble for a few minutes. Reduce the temperature, add the olives and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes to make a pulpy sauce.
3. Flake the mackerel fillets into large pieces and carefully stir into the sauce. Cook for a further 2 minutes until heated through.
4. Gently toss together the cooked pasta, mackerel sauce and parsley. Divide between two bowls and grind over some black pepper before serving.