6-8 cardamom pods
100g caster sugar
2 medium egg whites
2 x Waitrose 1 Perfectly Ripe Mango
Squeeze of lemon juice
300ml double cream
200g tub Waitrose 1 Greek Natural Strained Yogurt
5 pieces from 250g jar Stem Ginger In Syrup, plus 3 tbsp syrup from the jar
Mango, cardamom & ginger mess
6-8 cardamom pods
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C, gas mark 1. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Crush the cardamom pods using a pestle and mortar to release the seeds. Discard the shells and crush the seeds a little further. Mix with the sugar.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until softly peaking. Gradually whisk in the cardamom sugar, a heaped tablespoonful at a time. Whisk well between each addition until the meringue is thick and glossy. Place the meringue in about 10 separate spoonfuls on the baking sheet and flatten slightly (they don’t need to be neat as they will be broken up later). Bake for about 50 minutes until crisp but still soft in the centres. Leave to cool.
3. Halve the mangos either side of the flat stones. Cut away the skins and thinly slice the flesh. Toss in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice. Whip the cream in a bowl with the yogurt and ginger syrup until soft peaks form, then stir in 4 pieces of finely chopped ginger.
4. To assemble, spoon a little cream into six serving glasses. Roughly break up the meringues and position a few pieces on top along with some mango slices. Repeat the layering, finishing with a little cream and sprinkle with the remaining stem ginger, finely chopped. Chill for up to 2-3 hours before serving.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings