Mango & coconut custard tarts
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes, plus cooling
375g block Jus-Rol Sweet Shortcrust
170ml double cream
3 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
75g caster sugar
160ml can coconut cream
½ large mango, finely chopped
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Roll out the pastry to 5mm thickness and use to line 4 individual 12cm-wide x 2cm-deep loose-bottomed tart tins. Fill the tart cases with baking parchment and baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment and beans.
2. Meanwhile, in a small pan, heat the double cream very gently until it just reaches boiling point then remove from the heat. Place 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks (reserving the 2 egg whites for the topping in step 4) in a bowl and beat gently with 50g of the sugar. Pour over the hot cream, whisking all the time, then add the coconut cream and stir to combine.
3. Pour the custard mixture into the tart cases and bake for
12-15 minutes until just set. Remove from the oven and top with
the chopped mango.
4. Using a handheld whisk, beat the reserved egg whites to soft peaks then slowly add the remaining sugar, a little at a time, until you have a glossy, stiff meringue mixture. Spoon the meringue on top of the mango and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut. Bake for 4-5 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then carefully remove and serve.