The vinegar in the marinade helps to tenderise the steak. The pickle is one of my all-time favourites; any leftovers will keep in the fridge for a week.
Marinated rump steak with spiced beetroot pickle
115ml essential Waitrose red wine vinegar
3 tbsp essential Waitrose olive oil
3 garlic cloves, finely crushed
4 bay leaves
4 essential Waitrose rump steaks (about 115g each), trimmed
1 echalion shallot, finely chopped
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp nigella seeds
250g cooked beetroot, finely chopped
1 tbsp caster sugar
1. Mix 100ml vinegar, 1 tbsp oil, the garlic and bay leaves, season, then massage into the steaks. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow the meat to come to room temperature. (Chill for up to 24 hours, if marinating in advance.)
2. For the pickle, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the shallot. Cook over a gentle heat for 7-10 minutes; add the garam masala and nigella seeds. Cook for a few minutes more, then stir in the beetroot, sugar and the remaining 15ml vinegar. Heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Season and set aside.
3. Drain the steaks from the marinade, wipe off any excess and pat dry; discard the leftover marinade. Coat the steaks with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil; season. Cook in a hot frying pan, turning every 30 seconds until cooked to your liking; about 4-5 minutes for medium-rare. Rest under foil for 5 minutes before serving with the pickle and some watercress, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating and resting
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes, plus marinating and resting
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 118 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Oct 01 17:10:00 BST 2014.