Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's crumble topped mince pie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 6 - 8
FOR THE PASTRY
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
20g ground almonds
½ tsp ground cinnamon
35g icing sugar
125g cold butter, diced
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Large Free Range Egg yolk
FOR THE FILLING
410g jar mincemeat
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
FOR THE CRUMBLE
75g plain flour
75g butter, cubed
50g caster sugar
1 beaten egg yolk, for glazing
1. Place the flour, almonds, cinnamon and icing sugar into a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add the butter and rub into the flour until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 1-2 tbsp of cold water and mix with a round ended knife. When the mixture starts to clump, tip the bowl out onto a large piece of clingfilm and knead briefly until the pastry makes a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface, to around 0.5cm thick or large enough to cover the base and sides of a 24cm fluted, loose bottomed tart tin. Press the pastry right into the tin edges, then roll the pin over the top to cut away any excess. Prick the base with a fork, then chill for 15 minutes.
3. Line the pastry with parchment and fill with baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Take out the beans and bake for 8-10 minutes, then remove from the oven. Reduce the heat to 180°C, gas mark 4.
4. Mix the apple and mincemeat in a bowl and spread into the case. Mix the crumble ingredients and rub in the butter until it all clumps then sprinkle over the mincemeat. Use leftover pastry to decorate.
5. Brush the pastry on top with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve hot or cold with lots of my vanilla brandy custard!
Cook’s tip You can freeze the pie uncooked for 3 months, at the end of step 4. Bake from frozen, covered with foil, for 30 minutes then remove the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 09 09:48:00 GMT 2017.