'The elderflower glaze soaked into the lemon sponge gives this cake a fresh, floral twist.' Martha Collison
Martha's lemon and elderflower loaf cake
125g unsalted butter, softened
175g caster sugar
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
175g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp milk
100g icing sugar
4 tbsp elderflower cordial Lemon zest, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to180°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 1kg loaf tin and base line with baking parchment.
2. Using a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and sugar for about 4-5 minutes, or use an electric beater, until light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs and lemon zest.
3. Add the flour and salt, stirring until the mixture is well combined, then add the milk.
4 Spoon into the prepared tin and place into the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until risen, golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5 Mix together the icing sugar with the elderflower cordial to form a runny icing. Drizzle over the hot cake, top with lemon zest and leave to cool completely before slicing.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes to 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes
Makes: One loaf or 10 slices
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 30 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Sep 14 15:35:00 BST 2015.