These melt-in-the-mouth mini pies are quick to make, and their dainty size makes them perfect for parties or as after-dinner treats.
Marzipan topped mini mince pies
100g plain flour
50g chilled butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp caster sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
200g Waitrose Cranberry and Port Mincemeat
75g Waitrose Brandy Marzipan
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl then add the butter. Using your fingertips, lightly rub the butter into the flour until it begins to form fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar then, using a round-bladed knife, mix in the egg until the mixture begins to stick together. With your hands, work the mixture into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Grease a 12-hole mini bun tin. Roll out the pastry and stamp out 12 circles using a 7cm pastry cutter. Press the circles into the tin. Using a teaspoon, fill each pastry case with mincemeat.
- Roll out the marzipan to 5mm thick and cut out 12 stars, using a small star cutter (about 4.5cm diameter). Lay a marzipan star on top of each mince pie and then bake for about 15 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully lift out and place on a wire rack to cool. Dust with a little icing sugar to serve (or see Cook’s tip).
Make these mince pies even more special by drizzling with orange icing. When the mince pies have cooled, mix 50g sifted icing sugar with 2-3 teaspoons orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the mince pies and leave to set for 10 minutes.
- Preparation time: Prepare 30 mins, plus 20 mins chilling
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes, plus 20 mins chilling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 75 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2008.