These melt-in-the-mouth mini pies are quick to make, and their dainty size makes them perfect for parties or as after-dinner treats.
Marzipan topped mini mince pies
- Preparation time: Prepare 30 mins, plus 20 mins chilling
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes, plus 20 mins chilling
100g plain flour
50g chilled butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp caster sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
200g Waitrose Cranberry and Port Mincemeat
75g Waitrose Brandy Marzipan
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl then add the butter. Using your fingertips, lightly rub the butter into the flour until it begins to form fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar then, using a round-bladed knife, mix in the egg until the mixture begins to stick together. With your hands, work the mixture into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Grease a 12-hole mini bun tin. Roll out the pastry and stamp out 12 circles using a 7cm pastry cutter. Press the circles into the tin. Using a teaspoon, fill each pastry case with mincemeat.
- Roll out the marzipan to 5mm thick and cut out 12 stars, using a small star cutter (about 4.5cm diameter). Lay a marzipan star on top of each mince pie and then bake for about 15 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully lift out and place on a wire rack to cool. Dust with a little icing sugar to serve (or see Cook’s tip).