Italy, France and Spain all have "meat in beans" recipes. This is my home version. It's easy to vary the type of sausage used or add sympathetic ingredients. You can ring the changes on this dish by adding fried slices of Chorizo to make it spicier. Serves 6 as part of a larger meal or 4 hungry people on its own!
Med Sausage Casserole
Red Onion x2
Cannellini Beans 2 tins
Chopped Tomatoes 2 tins or packs (700g)
Cubetti di Pancetta 200g (1 pack)
Sausages -Toulouse or Sicilian - 12
Garlic 2-6 cloves to taste
Chilli powder or paste to taste
- Put casserole on moderate heat, add some oil and Pancetta, let Pancetta brown slightly before adding chopped onions. Reduce heat and stir so onions do not brown.
- When onions are softened add garlic cloves and Chilli to taste (for chilli powder ¼ teaspoon will be barely noticeable, 1 teaspoon and it’s definitely there).
- Add chopped tomatoes, bring to slow simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent tomatoes caramelising. Adjust heat so that mixture simmers very gently (tomatoes don’t like to boil).
- Now fry sausages so that they brown evenly for about 10mins. Remove from pan and let cool for another 10 mins.
- Add drained Cannellini beans to tomato mixture (which has now been simmering for 20 minutes). Raise heat and bring back to light boil.
- Chop sausages into 4 pieces each and add to casserole. Stir to mix all ingredients and either reduce to simmer on stove or put in moderate oven (170c) and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- If possible, let the dish cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. Serve in pasta bowls if possible as it’s nicer than on a plate.
- Total time: 60 mins
Average user rating Based on 10 ratings