This compote can be served after a meal with cheese or as a winter breakfast with yogurt. It is best made in advance to allow the flavours to develop and blend together. Simply warm it through over a gentle heat when you are ready to serve.
Medjool Date and Fig Compote
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 minutes to 3 minutes
- Total time: 12 minutes to 13 minutes
- 2 x 250g packs Waitrose Medjool Dates
- 200g pack Waitrose Semi-dried Figs, halved
- 300ml dry cider or apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- Thinly pared strips of zest from 1 orange
- Cut the dates in half and remove the stones. Place in a medium pan with the figs. Pour over the cider or apple juice and stir in the cinnamon, star anise, ginger and orange zest. Bring to the boil and simmer over a gentle heat for 1-2 minutes, then serve warm. Alternatively cool and chill in the fridge for up to one week until ready to use.
- Just before serving, warm the compote in a pan, if desired. Remove the cinnamon stick and star anise and serve with a selection of cheeses, such as Cropwell Bishop Stilton or Waitrose Blue Wensleydale and Brie, and Waitrose Organic Oaten Biscuits.