LOVE Life: Low in saturated fat
Mexican chicken, lime and tortilla soup
4 chicken legs
1 large onion, halved
1 heaped tsp allspice berries
¼ tsp black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
3 fresh jalapeno chillies, 2 halved and 1 sliced
2 limes, pared zest and juice
500ml fresh chicken stock
5 LOVE life seeded tortilla wraps, each cut into quarters
1 large green pepper, cut into 0.5cm pieces
28g pack coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves torn
1. Put the chicken legs, onion, allspice berries, peppercorns, bay leaf, halved jalapenos and pared lime zest in a large pan with a pinch of salt. Pour over the chicken stock and 1 litre cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through; skim off any scum as it cooks.
2. Meanwhile, cut a small cross in the base of each tomato, put in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 30 seconds. Rinse under cold water until cool. Peel and chop into 0.5cm pieces discarding the skin and seeds.
3. Dry-fry the tortilla pieces in a smoking hot pan for 1 minute on each side, until golden. Cool, then cut into strips and set aside. Remove the chicken from the broth and once cool enough to handle, shred the flesh, discarding the skin and bones. Strain the broth into a clean pan and add the diced tomatoes and pepper, coriander stalks and lime juice; season with salt.
4. Ladle the hot broth into bowls, topping each with some chicken, coriander leaves and sliced jalapeno. Serve with the tortillas and extra lime wedges, if liked.
FYI: Jalapeno chillies
A great source of vitamin C, versatile jalapenos have a medium, tangy heat. Eat them raw, pickled or roasted.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Sun Feb 01 14:11:33 GMT 2015.