Blend fresh tuna with hot Japanese horseradish, or wasabi, for these mini burgers with bite. They’re brilliant for barbecuing.
Mini Tuna Burgers With Wasabi Mayonnaise
- 2 x 300g packs Pane Toscano Ready to Bake Classic Mini Paninis
- 500g yellowfin tuna steak, from the fish service counter
- 4 salad onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Wholesome Sesame Seeds
- 20g pack fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra light mayonnaise
- 4cm piece cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp wasabi paste
- Bake 12 panini in a preheated oven, set to 220°C, gas mark 7, for 5-6 miniutes then allow to cool. Meanwhile, cut the tuna into large chunks, place in a food processor and pulse until roughly minced. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the salad onions, 1 teaspoon of the wasabi paste, the sesame seeds, coriander and seasoning. Using damp hands, shape the mixture into 12 burgers.
- Preheat the grill or barbecue, then cook the burgers for 2-3 minutes on each side until just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and remaining wasabi. Split open the paninis and fill with the burgers, cucumber and wasabi mayonnaise. Serve with Waitrose Leafy Salad with Mustard.
Children will love these burgers, too – though you may prefer to leave out the wasabi paste.When preparing a barbecue, make sure the coals are glowing under a thin layer of ash before cooking.
Nepenthe Handpicked Riesling Adelaide Hills, S Australia has just the right balance of fruit, minerality and crisp acidity for serving with this dish.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Total time: 22 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Per mini burger
Average user rating Based on 18 ratings
This recipe was first published in August 2007.