These tasty mini bites of cheese on toast are perfect for parties as a canapé, or as a starter or snack
Mini Welsh rarebits
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus cooling time
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
Makes: about 24
2 tsp English mustard powder
6 tbsp Duchy Originals from Waitrose Organic Golden Ale
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
350g Caerphilly cheese, grated
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolks
6 slices Waitrose 3 Malts Sourdough With Mixed Seeds
For the pear and walnut relish:
1 Perfectly Ripe Conference Pear
2 tbsp lemon juice
50g walnut pieces, finely chopped
25g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Mix the mustard with a little ale to make a paste in the base of a pan. Stir in the rest of the ale, the butter and Worcestershire sauce over a gentle heat and cook for about 5 minutes, until the butter has melted.
2. Add the cheese and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and being careful that the mixture doesn’t boil, until melted and smooth. Season, then remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Beat the yolks into the just-warm but still melted cheese.
3. Preheat the grill to high and toast the bread lightly on both sides, then leave to cool on the grill rack.
4. Spread the cheese mixture over the cooled toast and grill for 3-4 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Coarsely grate the pear and immediately toss with the lemon juice. Stir in the walnuts and parsley. Cut each toast into 4 slices and serve with the relish, ready to spoon on top.