This easy recipe can be prepared in just 15 minutes, then you can leave it to cook slowly until you're ready to eat.
Moroccan lamb tagine with honey and almonds
750g Shoulder of lamb, deboned
3 tbsp Olive oil
2 Onions, finely sliced
2 Carrots, peeled, diced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp Saffron powder (or 10–12 threads)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
5 dried apricots, diced
1 tbsp Clear honey
50g Flaked almonds, toasted
1 tbsp Harissa chilli paste
Fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Trim the lamb and cut into bite-sized pieces. Heat the oil in a casserole; fry the onion and carrot gently for 5–10 minutes, till soft. Add the lamb; cook on all sides for 1–2 minutes until it colours a little. Sprinkle in the spices and salt and add enough water to just cover everything – about 700ml.
- Bring to the boil; cover tightly. Turn down the heat and leave to simmer, or transfer to a preheated oven at 140°C, gas mark 1, for 1 hour. Stir in the apricots and honey, cook for 15 minutes more, or until the lamb is tender. Add more boiling water during cooking if needed. Adjust the seasoning to taste
- Mix a ladleful of cooking juices with the harissa paste to make a sauce. Make the couscous according to the instructions on the pack, then serve with the tagine, sprinkled with the almonds and mint leaves, and the harissa sauce on the side.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Mar 01 00:00:00 GMT 2010.