When a quick and easy dessert is required, this special fruit salad is just the thing - it can be ready in 20 minutes.
Mulled fruit compote recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
150ml fruit red wine, such as Merlot
50g golden granulated sugar
4 cardamom pods, split open
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
Grated zest and juice 1 orange
450g mixed red and black fruit, such as blueberries, raspberries, plums, blackberries, cherries
1 Braeburn or Cox apple, cored and sliced
3-4 tbsp LOVE Life Berry and Nut Sprinkle
- Put the wine in pan with the sugar, spices, orange zest and juice. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves then bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until syrupy.
- Meanwhile, stone and slice any large fruit such as plums and halves and stone the cherries. Place the prepared fruit in a large bowl and pour over the ho syrup through a sieve. Discard the spices. You can return the cinnamon stick to the syrup if you wish. Stir the fruit to coat in the syrup then cool slightly.
- Spoon the compote into bowls and sprinkle with the berry and nut mix. Delicious served with crème fraîche and biscuit thins.