Cut into little squares, this gift makes a great treat with coffee. Or warm and serve with cream for a festive pud.
Mulled Fruit Baclava
- 75 g unsalted butter, melted
- 200 g dried mixed fruit
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 175 ml marsala
- 125 g set honey
- 1 ripe pear
- 100 g walnut pieces
- 270 g pack filo pastry
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Put the dried fruit, cinnamon, mixed spice, Marsala and 50g of the honey in a pan. Bring to the boil. Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes. Tip into a bowl, cover and leave to stand for several hours or overnight.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, reserving the juices and placing the fruits in a bowl. Peel the pear and grate the flesh into the bowl. Add the walnuts and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Grease a 28 x 18cm shallow ovenproof tin with a little butter. Unroll the pastry and lay one sheet in the tin, folding the edges back over to fit. Brush lightly with butter. Using half the pastry sheets, continue adding layers, overlapping the edges in a different place each time so the layering is even.
- Tip the fruit mixture over the pastry and spread in an even layer. Cover with the remaining pastry as above. Use a sharp knife to mark into 24 squares. Bake for about 45 minutes until crisp and golden.
- While baking, combine the soaking juices, remaining honey and any leftover melted butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until syrupy. Pour over the baked pastry and leave to cool completely. Cut through and separate into squares. Dust with icing sugar and arrange in a waxed paper-lined box or other grease-resistant container.
Can be prepared in advance.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes plus standing
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 80 mins plus standing
Makes: Makes 24 small squares
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in November 2009.