A deliciously savoury parcel.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
50g unsalted butter, melted
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 echalion shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
8 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
3 tbsp port, madeira or red wine
1 heaped tbsp essential Waitrose mascarpone
25g pack chives, finely chopped
270g pack filo pastry
30g grated essential Waitrose parmigiano reggiano (or gruyère)
1. Heat the oil and 1 tbsp melted butter in a large frying pan; add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, until soft and starting to colour. Add the shallots, garlic and thyme; cook for 1-2 minutes, then pour in the port, madeira or wine. Boil rapidly until syrupy, then stir in the mascarpone and chives; cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Layer the filo sheets on a baking tray, brushing each one with the remaining melted butter as you go. (Cover the remaining filo with a clean, damp tea towel as you work to avoid it drying out.)
3. Spread the cooled filling over the pastry, leaving a 3cm border all the way round. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Fold the short ends over, then roll the whole thing so the seam is sealed underneath. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Slice and serve immediately, with rocket, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Feb 01 12:19:48 GMT 2015.