A deliciously savoury parcel.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes, plus cooling
1 tbsp vegetable oil
50g unsalted butter, melted
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 echalion shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
8 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
3 tbsp port, madeira or red wine
1 heaped tbsp essential Waitrose mascarpone
25g pack chives, finely chopped
270g pack filo pastry
30g grated essential Waitrose parmigiano reggiano (or gruyère)
1. Heat the oil and 1 tbsp melted butter in a large frying pan; add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, until soft and starting to colour. Add the shallots, garlic and thyme; cook for 1-2 minutes, then pour in the port, madeira or wine. Boil rapidly until syrupy, then stir in the mascarpone and chives; cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Layer the filo sheets on a baking tray, brushing each one with the remaining melted butter as you go. (Cover the remaining filo with a clean, damp tea towel as you work to avoid it drying out.)
3. Spread the cooled filling over the pastry, leaving a 3cm border all the way round. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Fold the short ends over, then roll the whole thing so the seam is sealed underneath. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Slice and serve immediately, with rocket, if liked.