Buy fresh Scottish mussels from the Fish Service Counter.
Mussel, Leek and Saffron Pilaff
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes to 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes to 50 minutes
- 1kg bag Waitrose Fresh Scottish Mussels
- 100ml dry white wine
- A large pinch saffron strands
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large leeks, about 350g, washed and thinly sliced
- 225g basmati rice
- 300g tub Joubère Fresh Fish Stock
- ½ pack fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ½ tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the mussels: pull off the beards under cold running water. Discard any cracked or broken shells or any that do not shut if sharply tapped.
- Place the wine, saffron and 200ml cold water in a large pan. Bring to the boil, add the mussels, cover and cook gently for 3-4 minutes until wide open. Strain and reserve the liquor. Discard any closed mussels and keep the rest warm.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently cook the leeks for 3-4 minutes until just soft. Stir in the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the fish stock and reserved liquor. Cover and cook gently for 10-12 minutes until the rice is cooked and the liquid absorbed.
- Add the mussels and parsley. Season and serve with lemon.