- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 450g young nettle tops
- 50g butter
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 8 wild garlic leaves, torn
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Place the potatoes in a pan of cold, salted water, bring to the boil, and cook for 15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the shallots, celery and wild garlic leaves over a low heat with a lid for 10 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Pick over the nettles using rubber gloves, selecting only the new, young tops; discard any tough stalks. Wash them and blanch in boiling water for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the stock, potatoes and blanched nettles. Simmer for 5–10 minutes, until the nettles are tender.
- Purée in a blender and return to the pan. Stir in the crème fraîche and reheat. Check the seasoning, then serve, with a drizzle of cream if you wish and some crusty country bread.