This simple loaf is great for breakfast (toasted and topped with honey and banana), lunch (in a ham, mustard and salad sandwich), or supper (with pâté and cornichons).
Oaty Wholemeal Bread
- 7g Sachet fast-acting bread yeast
- 700g Wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp Fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 50g Porridge oats, plus extra for sprinkling
- Pour 500ml tepid water into a bowl and add the yeast. Stir in half the flour and blend to a thick cream, then cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes or so, until the surface is littered with bubbles.
- Stir in the salt, oil, most of the remaining flour and the oats, mixing well. Bring together on a lightly floured surface, adding more flour or water to give a soft, but not sticky, dough.Knead until smooth and elastic (10 minutes).
- Lightly oil a loaf tin (about 18cm x 11cm x 8cm). Shape the dough to fit the tin, cover, then leave in a warm place for at least 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Uncover the loaf, scatter with more oats, and bake for 35–40 minutes, till it sounds hollow when rapped on the bottom. Cool for 15 minutes before eating.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 24 ratings
This recipe was first published in September 2006.